UNM Rainforest Innovations

Students from many academic disciplines join our internship program at UNM Rainforest Innovations (UNMRI) to learn about university technology transfer and commercialization. They also develop professional skills and a better understanding of the intersection of business, science, and law.

Our featured intern this month is Kaitlyn Stewart. She plans to graduate in May with a bachelor’s degree in biology and two minors in psychology and chemistry. She will also be granted honors designations.

Kaitlyn joined UNMRI in October 2022 and currently serves as an Innovation Student Intern. “What I truly enjoy the most about this job is how much I can learn not only about technology in the fields I am interested in but also other fields I would have never previously had the opportunity to discover and research.”

Kaitlyn works with four other Innovation Student Interns under the direction of Hannah Russert, the Technology Marketing Manager for UNM Rainforest Innovations. “I must also mention my incredible coworkers and Hannah Russert who has made working at UNM Rainforest so memorable. Everyone on this team works to motivate each other! Working in technology transfer… as an intern, I have received experience marketing to companies that may be interested in our technologies, refining searches to determine novel research, and providing non confidential summaries.”

When asked what were some of the most valuable things she has learned, she said “While working at UNMRI I have learned not only how to work with various technologies in different fields, but I have also learned important innerworkings of teamwork. I have expanded my knowledge of computer technology and worked with various sites such as Sofia and Flintbox. I would also say as a mostly remote employee, I have learned discipline in my working hours and independent work strategies.”

Kaitlyn was born and raised in Albuquerque and graduated from Albuquerque High in 2019. “I was primarily raised by my father who worked as an electrician most of his life. For much of high school I also lived with my stepmom who works at Sandia National Laboratories. I have one younger brother working towards joining the fire department and two stepbrothers in middle school and high school. I plan to pursue graduate studies and take the next steps towards a career in medicine. I hope to become a PA in the near future!”