Department of Neurosciences
AIM Center of Biomedical Research Excellence
The University of New Mexico
Pending U.S. Patent Applications (UNM-Affiliated)
- Circular RNAs for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Brain Disorders
- Circular RNAs for Diagnosis of Depression and Prediction of Response to Antidepressant Treatment
- Novel Tools for Circular RNA Manipulation and use in Therapeutics
Dr. Mellios’ research areas include:
- Role of circRNAs in brain development, synaptic plasticity, and cognitive function.
- Use of circRNAs as biomarkers for better diagnosis and treatment of neurological and psychiatric disorders.
- Role of circRNAs in the pathogenesis of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.